Ear Pinning (Otoplasty)
Is performed to create or restore disproportionately large or prominent ears closer to the head.
- Girls or Boys after 6 years of age with protruding ear/s.
- Men or women with protruding ear/s.
During your consultation with the surgeon at the Clinic the surgeon will review your medical history and examine your ear structure and skin, then advise on the procedure.
An incision is made on the back of the ear and through this incision the cartilage is exposed and either part of it excised or simply reshaped to allow it to fold back towards the head. These are then secured with sutures and the wound is closed with absorbable sutures. The scar on the back of the ear is well-hidden by the ear itself. A bandage on the ears similar to a turban will be placed around your head.
Time : 1 - 2 hours (depending on extent of work to be done and if other facial procedures are done in conjunction).
Anaesthesia : General for Children, Local for Adults.
Hospitalisation : Out patient.
Time Away : Allow for at least 10 days in Thaïland for appointment, surgery, recovery, post op care, checkup/s and followup/s.
Pre Surgery Care
- On admission day, tests will be performed, xRay, ECG and blood tests, etc...depending on the type of anaesthesia used.
- It is important to be as close as possible to your ideal weight and BMI before the surgery.
- Avoid all prescribed and over the counter medications (unless specified by your Medical Practitioner), aspirin included (can prolong bleeding time) : vitamins, herbs, supplements, alcohol and smoking for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery. Panadol is not contra indicated.
- Plan to have enough time off for surgery and recovery particularly if other procedures are incorporated.
Post Surgery & Care
- Follow your surgeons post surgical instructions.
- Pain is dependent upon the extent of work done and your general health and wellbeing. Every individual is unique and will have different recovery rates and pain thresholds. Pain medication and antibiotics are prescribed.
- Pressure dressing is removed after 5 - 7 days. (Children should be kept relatively quiet during this time).
- Sweat band should be worn at night only to protect the ears.
- Avoid sleeping on sides for 3 weeks.
- Avoid initially and then limit exposure to any steam, saunas etc, swimming. Careful when washing hair.
- Bruising and swelling : 1 - 2 weeks.
- Normal Activities : 2 - 4 days.
- Strenuous and Contact Activities : 6 weeks.
Ears that lay proportionately closer to the head/face.
This information should be used as an information guide only.
Contact: BKK: +66-2-392-3590
В Бангкоке +66 2392 3590
В Паттайе +66 38 252 055